Version 4.x & Beyond - Feature Request

Development & Technical discussion about Timekoin.
Forum rules
Bug Collecting Database is Click Here
GitHub Account is Click Here
KnightMB
Site Admin

Version 4.x & Beyond - Feature Request

Post by KnightMB »

This topic will serve as a place to discuss new features or bug fixes for the future. Currently on the list below.
  1. New Plugin: Move Easy Key into Timekoin directly, remove reliance on easy key server which could be target of attacks, hacks, etc.
  2. Create server version polling between peers
  3. Revamp 6 year old CSS template
Anything else added to the list, I will update this topic with the new addition(s).

There might be things left over from 3.x that was talked about but never put it the list for whatever reason. If you want to get the discussion going on, feel free to post about it in this topic to help keep things organized.

[Updated with Easy Key in Timekoin Concept in Timekoin]
Attachments
Easy Key in Timekoin Transaction History.pdf
How to store Easy Key address directly into Timekoin Transaction History
(111.63 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
PoisonWolf

Re: Version 4.x & Beyond - Feature Request

Post by PoisonWolf »

+1 for the CSS template. Lol.

I've often wondered if we have a user who specializes in knowing how to make the server template work on mobile phones? That would be awesome I think.
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

PoisonWolf wrote:+1 for the CSS template. Lol.

I've often wondered if we have a user who specializes in knowing how to make the server template work on mobile phones? That would be awesome I think.
If not, we could always work out a special template for the mobile phone like an switchable option that crams less information on screen or uses more menus with bigger text for the mobile version, etc. The android folder was going to be something similar to this, but it might be easier just to make it all-in-one optional feature instead of two separate releases.
PoisonWolf

Post by PoisonWolf »

KnightMB wrote:
PoisonWolf wrote:+1 for the CSS template. Lol.

If not, we could always work out a special template for the mobile phone like an switchable option that crams less information on screen or uses more menus with bigger text for the mobile version, etc. The android folder was going to be something similar to this, but it might be easier just to make it all-in-one optional feature instead of two separate releases.
Also, this might be a little insanely ambitious but....is there a way to possibly make a lite-server for mobile phones that act as a backup to a primary linked server? I'm thinking of home situations where users do not use VPS-es or use multiple servers to maintain their uptime, and generally only have one server to contribute to TimeKoin at home. These individuals are at the mercy of their internet cable companies to not shut the internet down for maintenance services.

So I'm thinking of a situation where you provide a specific easy-key/public key to this mobile app that belongs to your home server. Once an hour, the mobile-app will ping the TK network to check if that key has generated in the past 60 minutes. If not, the mobile-app will temporarily replace the home server to send out a currency generation request just to keep the generation status alive. The mobile-app will do this for as long as the home server is not generating.

This might be a crazy ambitious idea but I'm wondering if it's possible. One of TK's greatest strengths is its emphasis on low-power usage. I believe cellphones might be able to run an SQL database now on our phones (perhaps a stripped down version of what's needed just to send out that currency generation request).
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

It is interesting that you mention this. I had this exact setup running on my Android phone when doing the template work for the Android version. Basically it was a mini-lamp (linux, apache, mysql, php) running with Timekoin installed. It functioned just like the full blow server (minus the transaction history, still in development so it couldn't really verify transactions) and did exactly what you just mentioned. It would create currency if it detected none had not already been sent to the queue (because Timekoin already does this if you have the same key installed on two different servers).

So I know it is already possible to do it! :D

PoisonWolf wrote: Also, this might be a little insanely ambitious but....is there a way to possibly make a lite-server for mobile phones that act as a backup to a primary linked server? I'm thinking of home situations where users do not use VPS-es or use multiple servers to maintain their uptime, and generally only have one server to contribute to TimeKoin at home. These individuals are at the mercy of their internet cable companies to not shut the internet down for maintenance services.

So I'm thinking of a situation where you provide a specific easy-key/public key to this mobile app that belongs to your home server. Once an hour, the mobile-app will ping the TK network to check if that key has generated in the past 60 minutes. If not, the mobile-app will temporarily replace the home server to send out a currency generation request just to keep the generation status alive. The mobile-app will do this for as long as the home server is not generating.

This might be a crazy ambitious idea but I'm wondering if it's possible. One of TK's greatest strengths is its emphasis on low-power usage. I believe cellphones might be able to run an SQL database now on our phones (perhaps a stripped down version of what's needed just to send out that currency generation request).
PoisonWolf

Post by PoisonWolf »

This is awesome. You have no idea how bummed I was when I lost my +9 generating status due to a power outage/maintenance stuff of some kind on Digital Ocean.

Also, another thing I had in mind when browsing through the interface is for the Generation Tab. Now that a server can contribute towards both IPV4 and IPV6 generating lists, is it possible to have some sort of count on timekoin.org's homepage regarding the number of UNIQUE servers that are contributing to the network? Right now it is technically possible to have 50 IPV4 and 50 IPV6 servers, when in reality there are only 50 actual servers that are contributing to the network. Perhaps below the Currency in Circulation value on Timekoin.org's page, we could have "Current Unique Active Nodes". I'm suggesting this because some people might want to see how many unique nodes there are at a glance without even starting up a TK server first.

Just a thought! Also please don't feel rushed by my flurry of ideas. I generally prefer to just pen them so it's out there. I don't expect anything to come of it most of the time. Lol.
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

I could put such a section up on the site page (similar to how it shows total currency created, etc.) but it's possible to have a server that contributes to the network and doesn't create currency. I have my dev-test machine setup to do that. Of course, the question is why not create currency, I don't know anyone that would go through the setup to just process transactions only, but I test all circumstances to make sure. Also, if (as per your example), you have an ISP outage and lose generation status, you are technically still helping the network, just not elected yet. So the "Unique Servers" count could actually be higher than what is currently creating currency. Will take a little research to figure out. :)
collapse

Post by collapse »

Http codes.

Code: Select all

if (*_DISABLED == TRUE || TIMEKOIN_DISABLED == TRUE) {
	// This has been disabled
	exit ();
}
=>

if (*_DISABLED == TRUE || TIMEKOIN_DISABLED == TRUE) {
	// This has been disabled
	header ( 'HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found' );
	exit ();
}

log_ip ( "AP", scale_trigger ( 5 ) );
	exit ();
=>

log_ip ( "AP", scale_trigger ( 5 ) );
	header ( 'HTTP/1.0 403 Forbidden' );
	exit ();
Pull request ?
My TK public key:

LS0tLS1CRUdJTiBQVUJMSUMgS0VZLS0tLS0KTUlIZk1BMEdDU3FHU0liM0RRRUJBUVVBQTRITkFEQ0J5UUtCd1FEQVZnL0w2OHorWUdab3dRRC92Sy93UmcwZDZLQlNoOG1DcFUzQwppZ1N4RjV4UUFMVUFWTEk4eElEUTFpTXFnUVlBanp3OFBGd1NtT0U2blpOV3dxSjVDeFRibS96NS9iQVZONnNNMys0M0VqdEZFdmhpCkxpNmhnZU9TWE05ZmsvNmlCSFQxQ0pnOVZiS25uRVlhemU1cHVKRHhtM0pWSlNZWGhNNHpqY2plMERsV1Fta1ArNnB2bTVZNkwxbEkKSHFaT0ZwdEZWV3dnVzE0NDFyd0E0MDU5YVJPOEJEbDZhS3VzWTVDblhPQnNLU251dGVUS1hHU1htK3FFam91M0dzVUNBd0VBQVE9PQotLS0tLUVORCBQVUJMSUMgS0VZLS0tLS0=
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

I had thought about those long ago, but it required extra processing and bandwidth to report it and I was trying to make it so that Timekoin was basically in a stealth exit mode to prevent flooding, etc. Normally people aren't going to be web surfing to those files, only Timekoin communicates with those. So a "no response" seemed more appropriate than a user friendly response for someone hitting those scripts with a web browser.

But, what the user does touch is the index where you login, so that might actually be good for the index.php to let someone know they are locked out (too many password attempts, flooding login screen, etc).
natugle

Post by natugle »

I think that the size of the data base, especially the transaction history, sooner or later will be an issue when servers run on cheap devices like Raspberry Pi and Android Phones.

The size could be reduced in several ways:
1. Old transaction records could be removed and replaced by a new record keeping only the balance of the removed records
2. Keys with no transactions for a long period could be removed.
3. Each transaction record could be reduced by keeping fewer information or by keeping only a hash of the keys etc.