Servers without complete database

Development & Technical discussion about Timekoin.
Forum rules
Bug Collecting Database is Click Here
GitHub Account is Click Here
natugle

Servers without complete database

Post by natugle »

I tried to run a server on an old netbook with very limited memory. My server was elected for currency creation although it had stopped updating the database of transactions, because of too little memory. I think it is wrong, that a server can get elected when it doesn't contribute to the network.
KnightMB
Site Admin

Re: Servers without complete database

Post by KnightMB »

natugle wrote:I tried to run a server on an old netbook with very limited memory. My server was elected for currency creation although it had stopped updating the database of transactions, because of too little memory. I think it is wrong, that a server can get elected when it doesn't contribute to the network.
Servers always assume they are elected (decentralized), but if they don't have a complete database and fail basic polling for Internet access and correct DB info, they are never accepted by the network peers. The Timekoin network is basically a large cooperation of nodes, but each one has a full copy of the entire DB and any one node that is different in in anyway (be it disk error, network error, hacker, etc.) is basically ignored by the rest of the network.
natugle

Post by natugle »

Well, I better believe you. After all you must be the expert :-)

However, I am stubborn so I will test it once more. I give you a report.
natugle

Post by natugle »

Well, somehow my server gets elected although it onty got 2.19% of the Transaction History.
Generation Enabled IPv4 Generating Peers: 17
IPv4 Queue for Election: 0 IPv6 Generating Peers: 0
IPv6 Queue for Election: 0
Continuous Production for 3 hours
Last Generated 32 mins ago @ 1 per Cycle

Current Server Balance: 1 Peer Time: 1452804829 1 min until next cycle
Transaction History: 2.19% (372,422 Transaction Cycles to Update)
And the TimeKoins it generates seems to be valid. At least I was able to transfer 1 tk to my account at the Market
Date
Thu 14 Jan 2016 - 21:45:01
Send to
LS0tLS1CRUdJTiBQVUJMSUMgS0VZLS0tLS0KTUlIZk1BMEdDU3FHU0liM0RRRUJBUVVBQTRITkFEQ0J5UUtCd1FDeFErSWJYNGZwMmxYR3NZT25xb1VEZ1FzL2ZVcDhiOTFWWHB0bgp5Vk9YeGEzM3dZQm5NRnV4ZnE3ZGVkSytiUERDc0dhUHlybUNWMkVNc3k4VXMwamgwbUlJS3hYdDVzSktOdXN0TVprZUxLVjJBQlBFCmR2VHRRVm5tTEp6NE04UzRCZW5qY05EV3kwNExFd1I3NTVSdDZnTjBJMEFTQ1NEZThGTWo5RWNZdGdtY3hoelJ6Qk5aeWNyTUIvN1kKYTV0cjBuN203dUs1anMzVXE0Z0MwQWYzRkxNeE5TakExV2tKNmRQOTZVV3pvc0x2dkVCQW14TTVSOVZDdlJQaHZrMENBd0VBQVE9PQotLS0tLUVORCBQVUJMSUMgS0VZLS0tLS0=
Amount Verification Level Message
1 3 XZ2KV2P8X94X
And it is also recieved at the Market
Date Log Attribute
Thu 14 Jan 2016 - 21:50:42 Deposit for [1] TK has Completed Successfully DE
I don't know if my server somehow is an exception but I think it will continue to generate currency even if I delete the history.
Best regards
Bjorn
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

natugle wrote:Well, somehow my server gets elected although it onty got 2.19% of the Transaction History.
Generation Enabled IPv4 Generating Peers: 17
IPv4 Queue for Election: 0 IPv6 Generating Peers: 0
IPv6 Queue for Election: 0
Continuous Production for 3 hours
Last Generated 32 mins ago @ 1 per Cycle

Current Server Balance: 1 Peer Time: 1452804829 1 min until next cycle
Transaction History: 2.19% (372,422 Transaction Cycles to Update)
That would be some amazing luck! All the other generating peers pick random areas of the DB to target and poll, unless they all some how picked some areas of transactions to verify from the beginning, I would certainly be curious to see myself. I've tried myself to get test peers to elect with the database basically cleaved off to almost nothing and never had that luck. It's usually all over the board (transactions near the beginning, from last year, this year, etc) It is pretty random since you don't have control over what other peers decide to poll with.

Does your server still have an existing balance or just a brand new key created for the testing?
natugle

Post by natugle »

Does your server still have an existing balance or just a brand new key created for the testing?
I closed it down in september last year but kept the keys and transfered the balance to a client at my desk top which has a different pair of Keys. So I have around 3.000 tk all in all. But I never ever had a complete history.

My server has IP 83.89.61.146 if you want to do some checking.
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

natugle wrote:
I closed it down in september last year but kept the keys and transfered the balance to a client at my desk top which has a different pair of Keys. So I have around 3.000 tk all in all. But I never ever had a complete history.

My server has IP 83.89.61.146 if you want to do some checking.
Thanks, yeah did a quick log text search and all I saw was the failures to register due to polling issues (which would be DB related), so I think your server only though it was elected, but the rest of the network did not recognize it. Since it already had a key with a balance, that is probably why a successful transaction worked. Even if your server doesn't have the full transaction history, the rest of the network does, so when it creates a transaction, the other peers know that your balance is good, even if your own server does not yet. ;)
natugle

Post by natugle »

Sorry to be persistent. :mrgreen:

But I don't think that some sort of hidden balance is the explanation. The servers balance was 0 when I closed it down last year. And the balance was also 0 in the 2-3 hours before it started to generate currency today. Actually it was elected and kicked again a couple of times before it finally stayed elected.

When I transfer to my client, the balance is deducted correct. The balance has been 0 twice and then it grows again whenever I'm allowed to generate more timekoins. So I really don't think I have a hidden balance somewhere in the network.

By the way I think the server gets its balance from the network not from its own calculation. You can check my balance. I copu my public key below.

I also think you can se my server is generating in the Generating List.
LS0tLS1CRUdJTiBQVUJMSUMgS0VZLS0tLS0KTUlIZk1BMEdDU3FHU0liM0RRRUJBUVVBQTRITkFEQ0J5UUtCd1FDaUwxOWNsOEFnSm1BaVpyTWNadDFFRUMrcEM4Vno2Z2JESUpscApSQmZUK2l1cllFeXVjZTlUbHhqYytISHJBSmFXMitPZnM4UHNRaEZzUDlEbWRZVndkSWhrQ3N3TUlHYlhKMzBjRWIwb09kbHB4azFCCkR2M2w0cFl5d29FRDlacG1BNUdpdUtLNTRWRHBxNmsxZndOejdPcHdrbEtJNlJSQTlLbFBnWlk1aXc4SENuenJ3dlR0R3pOSGl6VmcKbWp5d0JtRnFNeTVYaEJYVlVYaFJZMllYWkNsLzNkVzJFcG5ZQklqWnJ6WktDVTIrSkFJUXY5WEpuakpZaUU3QWY4Y0NBd0VBQVE9PQotLS0tLUVORCBQVUJMSUMgS0VZLS0tLS0=
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

Oh it's ok, no problem. For the past half-decade I am always on the look out for bugs, issues, etc.

My confusion, I thought you meant the server had a balance before and it was starting from a fresh database and just had not gotten all of it's own balance records yet (which would look like 0 balance) and was still able to send out a transaction when it would appear it had a 0 balance before, but really it was still recorded in the network and your server just had not caught up yet.

But you are saying the server was shutdown with 0 balance and basically was just picking up where it left off before.
natugle wrote:Sorry to be persistent. :mrgreen:

But I don't think that some sort of hidden balance is the explanation. The servers balance was 0 when I closed it down last year. And the balance was also 0 in the 2-3 hours before it started to generate currency today. Actually it was elected and kicked again a couple of times before it finally stayed elected.

When I transfer to my client, the balance is deducted correct. The balance has been 0 twice and then it grows again whenever I'm allowed to generate more timekoins. So I really don't think I have a hidden balance somewhere in the network.

By the way I think the server gets its balance from the network not from its own calculation. You can check my balance. I copu my public key below.

LS0tLS1CRUdJTiBQVUJMSUMgS0VZLS0tLS0KTUlIZk1BMEdDU3FHU0liM0RRRUJBUVVBQTRITkFEQ0J5UUtCd1FDaUwxOWNsOEFnSm1BaVpyTWNadDFFRUMrcEM4Vno2Z2JESUpscApSQmZUK2l1cllFeXVjZTlUbHhqYytISHJBSmFXMitPZnM4UHNRaEZzUDlEbWRZVndkSWhrQ3N3TUlHYlhKMzBjRWIwb09kbHB4azFCCkR2M2w0cFl5d29FRDlacG1BNUdpdUtLNTRWRHBxNmsxZndOejdPcHdrbEtJNlJSQTlLbFBnWlk1aXc4SENuenJ3dlR0R3pOSGl6VmcKbWp5d0JtRnFNeTVYaEJYVlVYaFJZMllYWkNsLzNkVzJFcG5ZQklqWnJ6WktDVTIrSkFJUXY5WEpuakpZaUU3QWY4Y0NBd0VBQVE9PQotLS0tLUVORCBQVUJMSUMgS0VZLS0tLS0=
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

Yeah, I did a quick search, it has a balance that goes all the back to September of last year.
It was creating currency up until September, looks like a last transaction to empty it, and it just started back up today. So when you did your market verification transaction, you already had some balance left (like maybe 2 I think?).