Yubikey 2 factor authentication support

Development & Technical discussion about Timekoin.
Forum rules
Bug Collecting Database is Click Here
GitHub Account is Click Here
tiker

Yubikey 2 factor authentication support

Post by tiker »

I've added Yubikey OTP 2FA support to my timekoin server - http://www.funkymonkey.org/timekoin

I modified a couple of files and added a few for this. The question is, the next time there's an update and the built-in update process runs, will the update revert the modified files back to the original unmodified files?

Can this be implemented with the plugin option of TimeKoin? I've not seen much around the plugin functionality and what it can do.
warmach

Re: Yubikey 2 factor authentication support

Post by warmach »

The next time you do an update, your changes will be overwritten. Your only real option is to re-add the changes after every update.

In regards to the plugin, I am not sure this is an option because your 2FA deals with logging into the server. The plugins are designed to be run as a service or used to along side the server. I think you can only access plugins once you are logged in.
tiker

Post by tiker »

Thanks for the response. I had a feeling that's what the answer was going to be.

I guess I'll have to avoid updating my TimeKoin server every time there's an update. :?

Off to find the suggestions (request) list. :)
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

warmach wrote:The next time you do an update, your changes will be overwritten. Your only real option is to re-add the changes after every update.

In regards to the plugin, I am not sure this is an option because your 2FA deals with logging into the server. The plugins are designed to be run as a service or used to along side the server. I think you can only access plugins once you are logged in.
No reason why some type of login hook can't be created for plugins, would allow someone to re-write the login screen if they wanted to, just as long the authentication set the proper session authentication after the custom login was completed.
tiker

Post by tiker »

I just ran the update and went to 3.47. Good news is, it did not see the files I modified as needing an update and didn't touch them.

As for hooking into the login process - does that capability exist today or is something that needs to be added to the plugin functionality first?
warmach

Post by warmach »

tiker wrote:I just ran the update and went to 3.47. Good news is, it did not see the files I modified as needing an update and didn't touch them.

As for hooking into the login process - does that capability exist today or is something that needs to be added to the plugin functionality first?
An update done within the timekoin server UI only updates the files necessary, not all the files. A future update may update your modified files. Make a backup before any updates so you can re-apply your custom code.

The hook still needs to be written for the plugin system.