VPS and Virtual Hosts.

Development & Technical discussion about Timekoin.
Forum rules
Bug Collecting Database is Click Here
GitHub Account is Click Here
whiteb

VPS and Virtual Hosts.

Post by whiteb »

I notice a few users now have gone down the VPS route and are wondering if it is possible, with Timekoin as it stands now (Linux setup), to have Multiple Virtual hosts on Apache, with the one SQL database ?, or do you need to have multiple SQL databases for each extra instance of Timekoin ?

Obviously this is dependent on having like 5 IP's, for 5 hosts.

I know DigitalOcean do not offer multiple IP's on Droplets.
KnightMB
Site Admin

Re: VPS and Virtual Hosts.

Post by KnightMB »

There is no technical reason why it would not work as far as sharing the database. Some tweaks would have to be made to the code for the database to recognize multiple sessions so it does not try to queue transactions twice, 3 times, etc. for example. The database itself would need some tweaks because 5 IPs for example would increase the load by 5 times (as the peers on the Internet would see those 5 IPs as 5 separate entities to communicate with)

It could be done, but using the cheapest VPS that many offer might not be enough if you have a single machine hosting the 5 instances as the RAM and I/O requirements start to increase a lot. Is it cheaper to have 5 separate VPS with 5 separate IP or would it be better to have 1 higher end VPS with 5 IP, lost more RAM, CPU, etc.
whiteb

Post by whiteb »

Hmmm so it seems the best way (For now) is to use a VPS per instance then, but given someone already approached DigitalOcean about subsequent droplets for Timekoin, but was refused on the basis of the 'burden' the generation it would generate (Gee, thanks for that misconception bitcoin).

Largest spike in the cpu was 10% to the user, 1% to the system on my system. Might have to stick with the single VPS with D.O then, unless there is another just as good who dont give a crap what you run (as long as its not Spam relay or something).
jambo58

Post by jambo58 »

https://www.budgetvm.com/account/cart.p ... roduct&i=0

Linux VPS (OpenVZ) - 1024MB VPS for $4.99 pm

1024MB Ram
2048MB Ram Burst
4 E5-2620 CPU Core
80GB Disk Space
3000GB Bandwidth
3 IPv4 IP Address
16 IPv6 IP Address

or

http://123systems.net/ovz.html

$14 per YEAR

2 Cpus
1gb ram
20gb disk
1tb month bandwidth
1 IP
whiteb

Post by whiteb »

What is the catch with 123systems ?

$20 a year, are they a shit provider that have to drop to ridiculous prices to sucker you in ?

Like I said, the catch is ?, they are down 364 days of the year ?
jambo58

Post by jambo58 »

There sla says 99.9% uptime.

I couldn't find any bad reviews on their service from a google search. In fact many positive reviews.

I think for $14 it won't hurt to try out one and go from there.
warmach

Post by warmach »

jambo58 wrote:https://www.budgetvm.com/account/cart.p ... roduct&i=0

Linux VPS (OpenVZ) - 1024MB VPS for $4.99 pm

1024MB Ram
2048MB Ram Burst
4 E5-2620 CPU Core
80GB Disk Space
3000GB Bandwidth
3 IPv4 IP Address
16 IPv6 IP Address
I signed up for one of these. I used my Ubuntu tutorial from http://forums.timekoin.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=529

The Ubuntu version here is 12.04 They do not have the more recent versions. Their image also had apache already installed. Using the walkthrough and pre-installed apache, it would start to lock up, but I couldn't see any system resources being used. I'd have to reboot to get back into the PHP pages. Once I started TK again, it would lock up again in a few minutes.

I completely removed their apache and reinstalled.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove --purge apache2 apache2-utils
This fixed my issue. So far, it has been running for 10 minutes. Not long, but much longer than it had!

So far it is working out great. It is a tad slower than Digital Ocean. I think that is due to the SSDs that D.O. uses. Aside from that, simple sign up and setup.
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

warmach wrote:So far it is working out great. It is a tad slower than Digital Ocean. I think that is due to the SSDs that D.O. uses. Aside from that, simple sign up and setup.
VPS using those types of setups are great because then virtual memory in Linux is pretty much like more RAM because in the past, swapping to disk would slow the system to a craw because the RAM was so much faster than disk, but when the disk is nearly as far as the RAM, it's nearly the same as the system having more RAM. :mrgreen:

Some VPS even operate the "disk" part of the VPS in RAM already, so even more of a speed boost for the low end VPS hosting. : 8-)