Version 3.2x & Beyond - Feature Request

Development & Technical discussion about Timekoin.
Forum rules
Bug Collecting Database is Click Here
GitHub Account is Click Here
warmach

Re: Version 3.2x & Beyond - Feature Request

Post by warmach »

I request an option to require SSL for the UI pages. If turned on, it would automatically redirect itself to https://
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

warmach wrote:I request that private keys not be sent to browser unless asked for. Basically, make a button to pull private key and us javascript to confirm before doing so. If I accidentally hit the backup tab, my private key gets sent unnecessarily across the line. SSL or not, it seems an unnecessary risk.
Added to list.
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

warmach wrote:I request an option to require SSL for the UI pages. If turned on, it would automatically redirect itself to https://
Do you mean an option that will always run the pages in SSL (if the server supports it) or just that the GUI is always SSL period?

I think an option to turn it on would be make more sense if the server doesn't support it for example.
warmach

Post by warmach »

KnightMB wrote:
warmach wrote:I request an option to require SSL for the UI pages. If turned on, it would automatically redirect itself to https://
Do you mean an option that will always run the pages in SSL (if the server supports it) or just that the GUI is always SSL period?

I think an option to turn it on would be make more sense if the server doesn't support it for example.
I just mean for the index.php page. I can not count the number I times that I forgot to put https. Just make it a system option and have index just redirect if it finds it is not ssl.

Running the server in ssl is pretty pointless. All the info being sent across the line is public info anyway. It would just slow down the server.
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

I agree having your server communicate to other peers via SSL when all the data is encrypted anyway would be a waste of CPU (it is supported though in the software if someone is really security paranoid :D ), but I agree, a "SSL if supported" for the GUI part that the user logins with would make sense. The download images for windows and the Pi for example could have some self-signed certificates created so the user is always doing SSL when in the GUI part.
warmach

Post by warmach »

Can you make the file update scripts more generic? It would be nice to use these scripts to push updates to plugins as well. Probably would only need to pass plugin path, URL to updated file, and expected sha hash.

Thanks!
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

warmach wrote:Can you make the file update scripts more generic? It would be nice to use these scripts to push updates to plugins as well. Probably would only need to pass plugin path, URL to updated file, and expected sha hash.

Thanks!
Added to it!
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

I've been updating the first post in this topic about the progress of the request and so far the only one that I will not have time to finish is the IPv6 generation. I wanted get the v3.3 release out because it contains a lot of speed improvements, requested features, and a major bug fix to help prevent spamming server transaction queues with duplicate transactions that have to be filtered later on.

The generation system had to be reworked to allow a parallel system for IPv6, but I thought it would be best to test out the IPv4 system first to make sure it still works the same as before, which I have been running on a couple of test machines for a week and so far, no issues. This way, when IPv6 gets activated later in another update, I hope for no surprise bugs. :?

The IPv6 gen system will operate 180 degrees out of phase with the IPv4 system. Basically there won't be elections for both systems at the same time nor currency generation at the same time. They will always be opposite of each other. This was to keep network load down and the two systems independent of each other, should one or the other experience some unknown issue.

The process for getting IPv6 address elected is still under testing/debate/design, thus that is why it is not ready to go live yet in this v3.3 release. :)

But everything else in v3.3 is still great, speed boost for transaction processing (well, it makes the Raspberry Pi faster :mrgreen: ) and other tweaks to how the transaction history can be updated/sync faster than before, especially with higher latency peers, etc.
joanofarc

Post by joanofarc »

Now that version 3.3 is out, you should probably update/create a v3.4 or whatever next version topic for feedback ;)

Post by 2072 »

I have a feature request for the next version. It would be to implement a Repair mode that would allow the server to use more resources when the db is damaged (foundations have been cleared, etc...). I think that this is important because my server has been repairing itself for about a full week after pressing 'clearing Foundation' (checking and repairing a single foundation takes between 40 to 60 minutes on my desktop computer...).