Version 3.2x & Beyond - Feature Request

Development & Technical discussion about Timekoin.
Forum rules
Bug Collecting Database is Click Here
GitHub Account is Click Here
KnightMB
Site Admin

Version 3.2x & Beyond - Feature Request

Post by KnightMB »

This topic will serve as a place to discuss new features or bug fixes for the future. Currently on the list below.
  1. API to remotely stop & start your Timekoin server ***complete***
  2. Get server service plugins to work without the need for CLI mode ***complete***
  3. Don't run DB utilities while the system is running ***complete***
  4. Generation System that is IPv6 Compatible ***under development***
  5. Backup Tab requires confirm button before displaying Private Key ***complete***
  6. Function to allow plugins to self-update with certain key parameters ***complete***
Anything else added to the list, I will update this topic with the new addtion.
Last edited by KnightMB on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Reason: Updated
Goodthanks

Re: Version 3.2x & Beyond - Feature Request

Post by Goodthanks »

Accidently posted this in the old timekoin image thread....

Can I recommend some work on the tools page.

I know there is a warning that they will take a while but it would be great if there was some kind of progress bar or some way to keep track. This is mainly for the raspberry pi. Windows users probably dont have to worry about it much.

Eg) I clicked optimize DB and left the PI for over 6 hours. Came back and it gave me the login screen. Entered the details and got faced with a blank page.

Logged into webmin. Mysql wasnt using any CPU or so it seemed.

Stopped mysql service
Rebooted.
Logged back in to zero transactions. (yeah I'm a slow learner)

Ran a database check which only took a few seconds and said the transaction history is corrupt. So I clicked repair DB and now I have the same issue as before. I cant check the progress at all. Im going to leave it overnight and see how it is in the morning. Not sure how much can be done in PHP...

It would be quicker for me to reload the pi image which seems a bit silly really.
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

It should probably have a warning not to run it on a system where all the process are running because the optimize locks the database until it finishes. What the optimize does is make a copy of the database, then re-index the whole table. On a Pi, it takes close to 15 minutes, sometimes longer than the timeout for the web browser will handle. I pop-up "busy" screen could be used, but the status for it would be a bit more tricky to extract of just how much time it has left to finish.
Goodthanks

Post by Goodthanks »

I stopped all the processes first.

I clicked the repair a few hours ago. If I try and login I get prompted for username and password but then it's just a completely blank screen.

Beginning to think I must have a total crap raspberry pi.
Goodthanks

Post by Goodthanks »

Remembered I still had a copy of the transaction database on the SD card. Stopped timekoin and mysql. Mounted the partition from the SD card and copied the timekoin folder over. Restart and its up and running again.

This timekoin stuff is going to make me a master at linux!
Goodthanks

Post by Goodthanks »

I need to stop leading threads off topic with my problems.

Here's a few more suggestions.

- Make "auto update generation IP" enabled by default. Seen a few people have an issue with the wrong IP.
- I've noticed everytime I reboot I get the same peers listed with F in the failure scores and they stay there. I boot a couple and they are replaced with numbered scores. I notice the tooltip says they get booted if they are over a certain failure score but it seems if they have an F they dont get booted.

Aesthetic changes
- A couple of options are missing quick info descriptions on the system tab.
- The button layout is a bit inconsistent across tabs. Some are on the left, others on the right and the options tab is a mix of both. I may have a slight OCD problem :)
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

Goodthanks wrote:I need to stop leading threads off topic with my problems.

Here's a few more suggestions.

- Make "auto update generation IP" enabled by default. Seen a few people have an issue with the wrong IP.
That is in the database template already, for that exact reason. :)
- I've noticed everytime I reboot I get the same peers listed with F in the failure scores and they stay there. I boot a couple and they are replaced with numbered scores. I notice the tooltip says they get booted if they are over a certain failure score but it seems if they have an F they dont get booted.
The F represents First Contact peers, if you boot them and they reconnect, they become regular peers, subject to whatever failure limits the user has set. Probably needs some info about it for the user on screen somewhere. Eventually first contact peers can be booted if they are offlline (5 minutes of no response), so they won't be stuck in the list forever. Should remain long enough to at-least get a list of more peers to seek out.
Aesthetic changes
- A couple of options are missing quick info descriptions on the system tab.
Yeah, the info system needs some work, the quick info is being overloaded with too much "quick" info. :lol:
I'll need to look at maybe some tooltips where the user can just hover the mouse over something to get the description and leave the quick info as more a summary section for frequently used features.
- The button layout is a bit inconsistent across tabs. Some are on the left, others on the right and the options tab is a mix of both. I may have a slight OCD problem :)
Same issue for me, :lol:
When a few buttons are used, it's ok, but when dozens are all over the place, gets a little hectic for me also.
smooj

Post by smooj »

Generation monitoring. No idea if this is technically possible.

Say I have two generating servers. Each is monitoring the others public key for successful currency generation. If one fails to generate as expected the other sends some sort of notification to the appropriate person so the failed generation can be investigated.
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

smooj wrote:Generation monitoring. No idea if this is technically possible.

Say I have two generating servers. Each is monitoring the others public key for successful currency generation. If one fails to generate as expected the other sends some sort of notification to the appropriate person so the failed generation can be investigated.
That might be more for a plugin to handle since it would be specialized for the case. It would not have to monitor the server directly, it could be setup to monitor the transaction history (say a list of keys to watch) and if any of them fail to produce on time like normal, then alerts go out to the admin that something is wrong.
warmach

Post by warmach »

I request that private keys not be sent to browser unless asked for. Basically, make a button to pull private key and us javascript to confirm before doing so. If I accidentally hit the backup tab, my private key gets sent unnecessarily across the line. SSL or not, it seems an unnecessary risk.