Client Multi-key support?

Development & Technical discussion about Timekoin.
Forum rules
Bug Collecting Database is Click Here
GitHub Account is Click Here
koinmaster

Client Multi-key support?

Post by koinmaster »

Would it be possible to add multiple key support to the client? This way I could create a new address to receive currency at or if I just wanted to manage multiple key sets, transfer around balances as needed. Kind of like giving the wife a joint account where we could both use it, but I can still have my own personal account. :lol: Nothing bad meant about my wife. :twisted:

[edit: I see now I posted this in the wrong forum :oops: ]
KnightMB
Site Admin

Re: Client Multi-key support?

Post by KnightMB »

I moved it for you. ;)
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

In theory, there is no reason why it can't. There is plenty of room to add multiple keys. It would just be a matter of working out the scheme of how to manage them. I think one could just create some key profiles, so when you want to spend from one or another, you select the profile so it uses the correct private key/ public key for the transaction. The same profiles could help identity where koins are going, so when looking at the history, you can see that X amount went to key 1 and Y amount went to key 2, etc. The balance could be the total of all the profiles, or maybe better, each profile has a separate balance line to help distinguish them better. Maybe an individual view and a combined view balance for example.
koinmaster

Post by koinmaster »

It would certainly give some more functionality similar to bitcoin in that you could create as many extra address that you like. I do like how the client works so quickly without the need for the large database to carry around. Just need to get one written for the android & iphone now ;)
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

koinmaster wrote:It would certainly give some more functionality similar to bitcoin in that you could create as many extra address that you like. I do like how the client works so quickly without the need for the large database to carry around. Just need to get one written for the android & iphone now ;)
Just thought I would mention, the client works just fine with AndroPHP on 4.1 on a Samsung S3 phone. AndroPHP can be found in the Google Play marketplace. No need for root either and you can use it on an SDCard. New Key generation can sometimes crash / hang the browser (haven't looked into why that happens yet but I am guessing it is the key pair generation code, ie the factoring) but everything else seems to work ok.

I have also got the client to work on an Excel tablet (dual core 1.2Ghz ARM A9 processor), again public key pair generation takes a while and can sometimes crash but everything else seems to work just fine.
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

I had no idea, great news. I'll have to try it out on my tablet, just haven't had the chance to see what was out there yet.