Peerlist Empty and Stalled

Having issues with your Timekoin Server? Someone might be able to answer your questions here.
JFOC

Peerlist Empty and Stalled

Post by JFOC »

Hello,
Just doing fresh install with newest v3.61 Timekoin Server but peerlist is empty and Timekoin is Stalled.

I can access the timekoin from outside server network.

Any idea with the problem ?
PoisonWolf

Re: Peerlist Empty and Stalled

Post by PoisonWolf »

JFOC wrote:Hello,
Just doing fresh install with newest v3.61 Timekoin Server but peerlist is empty and Timekoin is Stalled.

What OS?
JFOC

Post by JFOC »

PoisonWolf wrote:
JFOC wrote:Hello,

What OS?
CentOS 7
PoisonWolf

Post by PoisonWolf »

See my response below that I posted in another thread. Knight will be better able to troubleshoot this as he uses centos. But my first guess will always be a permissions issue, especially if you can connect to the tk server already.
PoisonWolf wrote:OP, try this to see if it would work. I recall having the same stalling issues that you're seeing here. First, I'm going to assume you're on Ubuntu (this is what my personal server runs on). First, add your OS username to the root list. We will assume your OS username is bobby. To do so, type the following in a terminal.

Code: Select all

visudo
Scroll down till you see the section called user privilege specification. It will look like this:

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
Below the root line, add the following (again, assuming your username is bobby).

bobby    ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
Save the document and then type the following in a terminal (change bobby to whatever your username is on your personal computer):

sudo chown -R bobby:bobby /var/www/timekoin
sudo chmod -R 770 /var/www/timekoin
I recall having very eerily similar stalling issues as you're describing here. These command shared by fellow user warmach made it work for me on my own machine. Importantly, if you're on Ubuntu 14.04, the path to timekoin will need to be the following instead:

sudo chown -R bobby:bobby /var/www/html/timekoin
sudo chmod -R 770 /var/www/html/timekoin
I hope this works for you. Keep us posted. I can definitely empathize that setting up TK for the first time is a huge time sink (pun intended :mrgreen:).
tkoinuser wrote:Let's try to improve something.

I explained that I see "NOT INSTALLED" for the quantum index. You replied saying that you put a dummy record in the new install and that would answer my question. Didn't answer my question, problem still there.
I looked at the different pieces now. In v3.61.zip new_install_sql/timekoin.sql, I see a CREATE TABLE quantum_balance_index. There is no INSERT INTO = dummy record in that sql file.

So after mysql timekoin < timekoin.sql, the table is there but it's empty, as it should bee after the timekoin.sql I am looking at.

In templates.php, it then says SELECT COUNT(*) FROM quantum_balance_index, and if == 0, it will say "NOT INSTALLED".

What is missing is to either add a dummy record to timekoin.sql, or change the $qbi_index logic.

I tried to set all permissions to 777 now, still "Program Stalled" (though now both Transaction Clerk and Foundation Manager are Idle - progress).
JFOC

Post by JFOC »

PoisonWolf wrote:See my response below that I posted in another thread. Knight will be better able to troubleshoot this as he uses centos. But my first guess will always be a permissions issue, especially if you can connect to the tk server already.
PoisonWolf wrote:OP, try this to see if it would work. I recall having the same stalling issues that you're seeing here. First, I'm going to assume you're on Ubuntu (this is what my personal server runs on). First, add your OS username to the root list. We will assume your OS username is bobby. To do so, type the following in a terminal.

visudo
Scroll down till you see the section called user privilege specification. It will look like this:

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
Below the root line, add the following (again, assuming your username is bobby).

bobby    ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
Save the document and then type the following in a terminal (change bobby to whatever your username is on your personal computer):

sudo chown -R bobby:bobby /var/www/timekoin
sudo chmod -R 770 /var/www/timekoin
I recall having very eerily similar stalling issues as you're describing here. These command shared by fellow user warmach made it work for me on my own machine. Importantly, if you're on Ubuntu 14.04, the path to timekoin will need to be the following instead:

sudo chown -R bobby:bobby /var/www/html/timekoin
sudo chmod -R 770 /var/www/html/timekoin
I hope this works for you. Keep us posted. I can definitely empathize that setting up TK for the first time is a huge time sink (pun intended :mrgreen:).
tkoinuser wrote:Let's try to improve something.

I explained that I see "NOT INSTALLED" for the quantum index. You replied saying that you put a dummy record in the new install and that would answer my question. Didn't answer my question, problem still there.
I looked at the different pieces now. In v3.61.zip new_install_sql/timekoin.sql, I see a CREATE TABLE quantum_balance_index. There is no INSERT INTO = dummy record in that sql file.

So after mysql timekoin < timekoin.sql, the table is there but it's empty, as it should bee after the timekoin.sql I am looking at.

In templates.php, it then says SELECT COUNT(*) FROM quantum_balance_index, and if == 0, it will say "NOT INSTALLED".

What is missing is to either add a dummy record to timekoin.sql, or change the $qbi_index logic.

I tried to set all permissions to 777 now, still "Program Stalled" (though now both Transaction Clerk and Foundation Manager are Idle - progress).
Well is not working with above instruction.
My guess is suPHP cause the problem.
JFOC

Post by JFOC »

Turning off suPHP is resolves the issue, and now peerlist is filled and no more stalled :D
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

JFOC wrote:Turning off suPHP is resolves the issue, and now peerlist is filled and no more stalled :D
When reading the suPHP website http://www.suphp.org/, the description says it allows scripts to execute with the permissions of the owner (the web server being this case), but that already happens without it being installed. Where / how does suPHP get into the configuration? I looked through my Ubuntu and CentOS machines and can't find any packages or config files that have it. How did you disable it? :?
JFOC

Post by JFOC »

KnightMB wrote:
JFOC wrote:Turning off suPHP is resolves the issue, and now peerlist is filled and no more stalled :D
When reading the suPHP website http://www.suphp.org/, the description says it allows scripts to execute with the permissions of the owner (the web server being this case), but that already happens without it being installed. Where / how does suPHP get into the configuration? I looked through my Ubuntu and CentOS machines and can't find any packages or config files that have it. How did you disable it? :?
By recompile PHP without suPHP
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

Oh, so this would be installed on a shared hosting system then? So the suPHP won't let timekoin run because the user of the system is not granted permission. Is there anyway I can test this, I might be able to find a way around it so in the future people won't have to resort to recompiling PHP just to make it work.
JFOC

Post by JFOC »

KnightMB wrote:Oh, so this would be installed on a shared hosting system then? So the suPHP won't let timekoin run because the user of the system is not granted permission. Is there anyway I can test this, I might be able to find a way around it so in the future people won't have to resort to recompiling PHP just to make it work.
Might be you can try to install php with suPHP in another server for testing and find out what suPHP related permission are disallow Timekoin to running properly.

FYI I am too lazy to configure suPHP (so I just recompile without suPHP) and maybe with better configuration will allow Timekoin to be running well with suPHP.