fresh 3.61 install not working ("Program stalled")

Having issues with your Timekoin Server? Someone might be able to answer your questions here.
tkoinuser

Re: fresh 3.61 install not working ("Program stalled")

Post by tkoinuser »

Let's try to improve something.

I explained that I see "NOT INSTALLED" for the quantum index. You replied saying that you put a dummy record in the new install and that would answer my question. Didn't answer my question, problem still there.
I looked at the different pieces now. In v3.61.zip new_install_sql/timekoin.sql, I see a CREATE TABLE quantum_balance_index. There is no INSERT INTO = dummy record in that sql file.

So after mysql timekoin < timekoin.sql, the table is there but it's empty, as it should bee after the timekoin.sql I am looking at.

In templates.php, it then says SELECT COUNT(*) FROM quantum_balance_index, and if == 0, it will say "NOT INSTALLED".

What is missing is to either add a dummy record to timekoin.sql, or change the $qbi_index logic.

I tried to set all permissions to 777 now, still "Program Stalled" (though now both Transaction Clerk and Foundation Manager are Idle - progress).
PoisonWolf

Post by PoisonWolf »

OP, try this to see if it would work. I recall having the same stalling issues that you're seeing here. First, I'm going to assume you're on Ubuntu (this is what my personal server runs on). First, add your OS username to the root list. We will assume your OS username is bobby. To do so, type the following in a terminal.

Code: Select all

visudo
Scroll down till you see the section called user privilege specification. It will look like this:

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
Below the root line, add the following (again, assuming your username is bobby).

bobby    ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
Save the document and then type the following in a terminal (change bobby to whatever your username is on your personal computer):

sudo chown -R bobby:bobby /var/www/timekoin
sudo chmod -R 770 /var/www/timekoin
I recall having very eerily similar stalling issues as you're describing here. These command shared by fellow user warmach made it work for me on my own machine. Importantly, if you're on Ubuntu 14.04, the path to timekoin will need to be the following instead:

sudo chown -R bobby:bobby /var/www/html/timekoin
sudo chmod -R 770 /var/www/html/timekoin
I hope this works for you. Keep us posted. I can definitely empathize that setting up TK for the first time is a huge time sink (pun intended :mrgreen:).
tkoinuser wrote:Let's try to improve something.

I explained that I see "NOT INSTALLED" for the quantum index. You replied saying that you put a dummy record in the new install and that would answer my question. Didn't answer my question, problem still there.
I looked at the different pieces now. In v3.61.zip new_install_sql/timekoin.sql, I see a CREATE TABLE quantum_balance_index. There is no INSERT INTO = dummy record in that sql file.

So after mysql timekoin < timekoin.sql, the table is there but it's empty, as it should bee after the timekoin.sql I am looking at.

In templates.php, it then says SELECT COUNT(*) FROM quantum_balance_index, and if == 0, it will say "NOT INSTALLED".

What is missing is to either add a dummy record to timekoin.sql, or change the $qbi_index logic.

I tried to set all permissions to 777 now, still "Program Stalled" (though now both Transaction Clerk and Foundation Manager are Idle - progress).
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

Easy enough, I'll include the dummy record in the sql template for the next release. :)
tkoinuser wrote:Let's try to improve something.

koinmaster

Post by koinmaster »

Been reading over this topic, everyone has been helpful but for the one asking for help, we are all just guessing, have no idea what kind of system you are runnin, maybe you have a version of PHP that isn't compatible with timekoin? Some version of Apache that is configured different? Just all guessing from us really.
tkoinuser

Post by tkoinuser »

true true, I was frustrated. Timekoin has been a hit-and-miss for me for years, it must be allowed to question whether the software is on the right track quality wise. Maybe it's just me, or maybe not and that's why the community is as big as it is.
My system was Linux, Apache, PHP 5.4. I didn't want to get into the details of all sorts of system info because at version 3.61, the install really should work and if not should output meaningful error messages. I could add a lot of 'should'. If certain PHP versions or extensions are required, they could be checked in software, and reported missing.
I am happy that it seems one small detail will be improved in the next release, the quantum balance index dummy record.
I have uninstalled Timekoin now, will try again in some months.
No I'm not a first-time installer. I installed it many times, ran the server for years, encouraged friends to try - with lots and lots of stability issues observed.
Don't get me wrong here - the community is 100% great fantastic helpful etc. Always has been.
It's great to see that Timekoin comes back alive in 2016, I guess I was expecting something super-cool and new and working, but it seems it's pretty much at the same point it was before. This is my perspective only.
Thanks again for the help - very appreciated!