New and confused =)

Having issues with your Timekoin Server? Someone might be able to answer your questions here.
deroby

New and confused =)

Post by deroby »

Hi all.

A crypto-currency that doesn't waste electricity seemed like something worth trying out. As I'm setting up a new low power file/media/... server I figured I could simply give it a try..
I downloaded the server installation files and followed the walk-through. I was able to start the executable and click around in the TK pages but when I tried the [START TimeKoin] button, the page never fully loaded again and when I finally gave up waiting and looked at the Home tab, things showed nothing was really running. The machine is an Atom N2800 running win7 pro (32bit) so I figured it might be some kind of non-supported-cpu-instruction in the crypto-stuff ?!? I copied the files to my old Atom N230 server that never ever gave me any problems before on any software (slow yes, errors never) : same thing. I then copied it to my i5 Win8.1 64bit laptop and things worked right out of the box. Duh. Off course, I can't run a server on said machine thus I was kind of disappointed. Anyway, today I decided to write something about it on the forum so started it up again on the N230 to take some screenshots and to my surprise, things DO work now ?!?! I have no clue what might have changed since last Wednesday; as far as I can tell I'm still running the same software on the same machine....

Anyway Transaction History is at 87% now and catching up; seems this will take a while. Ran against the *** outbound only *** issue, remembered I had been messing with the router so, fixed that and yay... everything is running pico-bello ever since. I've switched on Generation and as far as I understand I'm now ''participating in the lottery', potentially making 'more coins per cycle' the longer the server remains online... well, theoretically it should be running 24/7 so .. we'll see what happens.

However, now that things are up and running I'm getting a *** NEW SOFTWARE UPDATE AVAILABLE *** message. DUHUH. Not seeing an update button nor a new version on the website I'm confused on what to do next =/
Also, I was wondering, where to find the upgrade, is there an 'upgrade walkthrough', what happens to machines that have been running for weeks straight but need to upgrade; will they be kicked back to 'newbies status' ?

I'll save my other questions for another post, plenty so far it seems =)
deroby

Re: New and confused =)

Post by deroby »

OK, found the [check for updates] button, duhuh. Failed the first time, then saw message about System:stop. Tried again and finished OK, pfewww...
Anyway, the thing is up and running again but it seems the 'catching' up part is taking quite a while. Could this be due to the slow CPU? I'm under the impression that CPU load isn't all that high; it seems to be mostly MySQL who's taking up resources whenever I take a peek and something happens to be going on... (most of the time everything looks pretty much idle).

Currently, I'm at
Active Peers: 22 Peers in Reserve: 25 Peer Speed: 1 Group Response: 45 sec
Transaction History: 87.47% (27,156 Transaction Cycles to Update)

I've noticed that the machine has a tendency to deviate its clock quite severely; might be because the entire thing is passively cooled and runs quite hot at times. I guess I'll have to create a task to synchronize internet time more often. Or find a cooler spot.

Generation seems to be up, but I'm not seeing much of it, probably because I'm so far behind (?!).
kingp

Post by kingp »

Your server will need to be peer elected by the network first, before any TK generation can take place. Expect to see your server elected anywhere within the next 48 hours. You can also see the upcoming Election period for TK servers wanting to join, in the Generation tab of your TK admin panel.

Welcome to the network!
deroby

Post by deroby »

Indeed, it seems it has joined the club and now shows a raising Current Server Balance. Yay =)
Catching up still seems to be problematic:

Transaction History: 87.35% (27,467 Transaction Cycles to Update)

Looks like I'm actually getting more behind over time =)
From what I can see, the 2 biggest CPU-hoggers are Apache.exe (43 cpu-hours) and mysqld.exe (almost 10 cpu-hours).
Knowing something about databases I'll see if I can figure out why this seems so heavy on the database.
PoisonWolf

Post by PoisonWolf »

deroby wrote:Indeed, it seems it has joined the club and now shows a raising Current Server Balance. Yay =)
Catching up still seems to be problematic:

Transaction History: 87.35% (27,467 Transaction Cycles to Update)

Looks like I'm actually getting more behind over time =)
From what I can see, the 2 biggest CPU-hoggers are Apache.exe (43 cpu-hours) and mysqld.exe (almost 10 cpu-hours).
Knowing something about databases I'll see if I can figure out why this seems so heavy on the database.
There has been issues with the generation list that needs fixing. However, given that Knight has been busy for quite some time and is no where to be seen, here are some quick tips to help make sure you stay on the generation list....
1) Under the options tab, set the Peer Failure Limit to 10. This helps you disconnect and rid yourself of slower peers quicker. Timing is crucial in the maintenance of your generation status. For reasons that have been explained to me, but I do not fully understand, discrepancies in the peer list can eventually create a fork in the generation list which in turn results in a portion of the generation list losing their generation status.

2) If your internet allows for it, have more active peers. The more peers that are connected to you, the more likely you are to maintain your generation status (due to point 1).

3) Under the systems tab as well, allow ambient peer restarts.

4) This is highly unnecessary but if you have another computer with an independent ISP provider, consider setting that up with Timekoin too, with the same public/private keys. So if one server goes down for whatever reason, the other will preserve your generation status.

Good luck!
deroby

Post by deroby »

Noted. Thanks for the tips...

I already had upped the number of active peers and it seems that over the past days the system did manage to catch up (99% right now). Next hurdle seems to be that my clock isn't very trustworthy at all as after a couple of days again it has ran out of sync with the network. I'll add a daily "w32tm /resync" task to the scheduler and see if that helps. I just ran it manually and things are up again, about 2000 cycles to update, peanuts! =)

In the meanwhile it's confirmed that mysql is eating ridiculous amounts of cpu ... haven't' had time to look into that yet...