Kicked from generating again......

Having issues with your Timekoin Server? Someone might be able to answer your questions here.
PoisonWolf

Re: Kicked from generating again......

Post by PoisonWolf »

Interesting, sounds like you have a good theory going for it. I wish we could discuss this over PM as I'm interested to learn what could be causing this . Any particular thoughts as to why it always drops to about 70 ~ 75 and then it stabilizes?

Are the servers that are being dropped based on the temporal order of when they joined the election list ? This could explain why first contact servers never seem to drop their status.
tiker wrote:
PoisonWolf wrote:I noticed it this morning as well. I saw that it was at 93+ elected peers yesterday, but then today it was down to a staggering 81 elected peers. I have yet to see the peer list go higher than 100. I don't know if it's a code limitation (array limit?) or if Tiker, as you say, that it is currently stealthily being exploited somehow. My servers are still elected, however, as I'm running two on the same key for redundancy.
The mass de-election always seems to happen once the number of generating peers is larger than 90. The limits that I've checked in code aren't being reached and won't be reached until the number of generating peers is close to 150.

I think I know a way to add servers to the generation list and remove any server I want from the generation list under certain conditions. Whether it's being done intentionally or through network errors now - I don't know, but it is happening.

With KnightMB being absent the past few weeks it seems we're on our own right now. I'd run my theory past KnightMB if he were here. I'm going to see if my theory is correct, if it can be done reading the code, then write what I need to make it happen as a live test. The down side, if it is sucessful, you might get booted as well, no matter how many servers you've got using the same key.
tiker

Post by tiker »

PoisonWolf wrote:Interesting, sounds like you have a good theory going for it. I wish we could discuss this over PM as I'm interested to learn what could be causing this . Any particular thoughts as to why it always drops to about 70 ~ 75 and then it stabilizes?

Are the servers that are being dropped based on the temporal order of when they joined the election list ? This could explain why first contact servers never seem to drop their status.
My jabber address in my profile is also my email address. That's my PM method. :)

To be honest though, looking at the lists, I don't think it's intentional. Due to the fact that I don't want to pick someone from the generation list and kick them off to test my theory (if it works) I'm going to start a new thread here to discuss the possible way to abuse the generating peer sync. scenario and possible ways to resolve it.

Going to get some coffee then I'll start typing it out for everyone to see, and for KnightMB to see as well if he does view these forums.
warmach

Post by warmach »

tiker wrote:
PoisonWolf wrote:I noticed it this morning as well. I saw that it was at 93+ elected peers yesterday, but then today it was down to a staggering 81 elected peers. I have yet to see the peer list go higher than 100. I don't know if it's a code limitation (array limit?) or if Tiker, as you say, that it is currently stealthily being exploited somehow. My servers are still elected, however, as I'm running two on the same key for redundancy.
The mass de-election always seems to happen once the number of generating peers is larger than 90. The limits that I've checked in code aren't being reached and won't be reached until the number of generating peers is close to 150.

I think I know a way to add servers to the generation list and remove any server I want from the generation list under certain conditions. Whether it's being done intentionally or through network errors now - I don't know, but it is happening.

With KnightMB being absent the past few weeks it seems we're on our own right now. I'd run my theory past KnightMB if he were here. I'm going to see if my theory is correct, if it can be done reading the code, then write what I need to make it happen as a live test. The down side, if it is sucessful, you might get booted as well, no matter how many servers you've got using the same key.

Feel fre to pm me your theory and I can check it out too. I do not mind getting kicked if it solves the problem.
evoked

Post by evoked »

I am having a similar issues. I have a couple of servers running. They were doing fine, though recently, they get kicked off after a few days at the best. Then they say not elected until 1-2 days later when they are back online again.

I want to know if this is an issue with my server or something else?

Is there a place i can grab the log to paste here?

Cheers.
Keep TimeKoin Alive!
evoked

Post by evoked »

Just as a secondary post to the above ^^

I also notice that for one of the servers, it may say "not elected" thought when it is, it says "generating for 14 days" for example. So is it the case that you get elected to generate, then kicked off, then back in again? This was not the case before.

Cheers.
Keep TimeKoin Alive!