How to Create a Full Generating Timekoin Node in a $5 VPS

Having issues with your Timekoin Server? Someone might be able to answer your questions here.
PoisonWolf

Re: How to Create a Full Generating Timekoin Node in a $5 VP

Post by PoisonWolf »

Hi Warmach, I had a quick linux question for you.

I tried these codes on my personal server.

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/timekoin
sudo chmod -R 770 /var/www/timekoin
However, I realized that the timekoin page wouldn't load up anymore after doing that. After that, I realized that I needed to change www-data to my personal server username, which I did. Yet, however, the timekoin page failed to load. It was only after setting it back to 777 was I able to get the timekoin page up and loaded. I knwow that chmod 777 is generally not advised, but may I ask how do I go about getting it to run with 770 as opposed to 777?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it figured out. I had to add my user to the rootlist or something. Then the page had no trouble loading using the above commands.
PoisonWolf

Post by PoisonWolf »

PSA: For those of you who set up the VPS node with Digital Ocean on 13.10, I'd strongly encourage you to update to 14.04 1 LTS when you get the chance. The recent bash-bug vulnerability affects version 13.10 and 13.10 is no longer supported.

When you upgrade to 14.04 1, just know that apache2 now has changed the root folder to /var/www/html as opposed to just /var/www previously. This means that after upgrading to 14.04 1, you'll know that you can't connect to your TImekoin login page as the timekoin folder is just in /var/www/.

To change this, just do

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default.conf
and you'll see the default is /var/www/html. Just change it to /var/www and save the changes.

Restart your apache2 or the server and that's it.

For those of you who still believe in this currency, I'd encourage to set one up as their service has been rock solid and has allowed me to generate currency without fail over the past 6 months.
PoisonWolf

Post by PoisonWolf »

Does anyone know how to enable IPV6 for Digital Ocean droplets? I've enabled it on Digital Ocean's side, but I was wondering what else needs to be done for Timekoin side and if the ubuntu files needs to be edited in some way to support IPV6?

Thanks in advance!
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

PoisonWolf wrote:Does anyone know how to enable IPV6 for Digital Ocean droplets? I've enabled it on Digital Ocean's side, but I was wondering what else needs to be done for Timekoin side and if the ubuntu files needs to be edited in some way to support IPV6?

Thanks in advance!
Yeah, ran into the same issue on my droplet, I had IPv6 enabled, but unless you are making a "new" droplet it won't fill in the IPv6 info automatically like it does during creation.

Basically needs the new IPv6 assigned as a static IP to eth0 with netmask 64, then the gateway for the IPv6 default route. Probablem is if you don't know that information off the top of your head it can be more difficult than it should be.

What you can do is gracefully shutdown your server, create a snapshop image. Then use that "image" to create a new droplet with IPv6 enabled. Digital Ocean will automatically configure the new image for the new IPv4, IPv6, etc. Then when the new image is up, start up Timekoin again (it will have a new IP now), try out the "firewall tool" in the options menu (Timekoin must be running to do this or else it blocks all peers when off), it has IPv6 testing support now. If all that is good, this new image should already have your key, generation status, etc. You can shutdown the old droplet, delete it, etc. You should be able to do all of that before 2 hours, probably 20 minutes tops. If the IP your old Timekoin server has can't be changed for some reason, you'll have to look at enabling the IPv6 manually via some Ubuntu info. I haven't checked myself about Ubuntu because my droplet is running CentOS, a bit different on configuring things.

If nothing else, I could just make a copy of my CentOS Timekoin and send it to you, you'll just have a different distro of Linux to deal with. ;)
PoisonWolf

Post by PoisonWolf »

KnightMB wrote:
PoisonWolf wrote:Does anyone know how to enable IPV6 for Digital Ocean droplets? I've enabled it on Digital Ocean's side, but I was wondering what else needs to be done for Timekoin side and if the ubuntu files needs to be edited in some way to support IPV6?

Thanks in advance!
Yeah, ran into the same issue on my droplet, I had IPv6 enabled, but unless you are making a "new" droplet it won't fill in the IPv6 info automatically like it does during creation.

Basically needs the new IPv6 assigned as a static IP to eth0 with netmask 64, then the gateway for the IPv6 default route. Probablem is if you don't know that information off the top of your head it can be more difficult than it should be.

What you can do is gracefully shutdown your server, create a snapshop image. Then use that "image" to create a new droplet with IPv6 enabled. Digital Ocean will automatically configure the new image for the new IPv4, IPv6, etc. Then when the new image is up, start up Timekoin again (it will have a new IP now), try out the "firewall tool" in the options menu (Timekoin must be running to do this or else it blocks all peers when off), it has IPv6 testing support now. If all that is good, this new image should already have your key, generation status, etc. You can shutdown the old droplet, delete it, etc. You should be able to do all of that before 2 hours, probably 20 minutes tops. If the IP your old Timekoin server has can't be changed for some reason, you'll have to look at enabling the IPv6 manually via some Ubuntu info. I haven't checked myself about Ubuntu because my droplet is running CentOS, a bit different on configuring things.

If nothing else, I could just make a copy of my CentOS Timekoin and send it to you, you'll just have a different distro of Linux to deal with. ;)
Thank you for the tip regarding creating a snapshot. Before I try that, I did bump into Digital Ocean's tutorial here for existing servers: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... n-droplets
That seems to require editing some existing files in order for it to work for existing droplets, which is what you're talking about right Knight?
warmach

Post by warmach »

PoisonWolf wrote:
KnightMB wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for the tip regarding creating a snapshot. Before I try that, I did bump into Digital Ocean's tutorial here for existing servers: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... n-droplets
That seems to require editing some existing files in order for it to work for existing droplets, which is what you're talking about right Knight?
I followed these steps and it worked fine on my existing droplet
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

Yeah, I didn't know where the link was but I remember something similar to it, so that is probably the easiest way to do it without messing with your droplet. Great info, thanks!
warmach wrote:
PoisonWolf wrote: Thank you for the tip regarding creating a snapshot. Before I try that, I did bump into Digital Ocean's tutorial here for existing servers: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... n-droplets
I followed these steps and it worked fine on my existing droplet