How to Create a Full Generating Timekoin Node in a $5 VPS

Having issues with your Timekoin Server? Someone might be able to answer your questions here.
whiteb

Re: How to Create a Full Generating Timekoin Node in a $5 VP

Post by whiteb »

Okay I will try again tomorrow. Thanks
jambo58

Post by jambo58 »

I went with ubuntu 12.10 as 13.04 and 13.10 has seen many reports of issues with apache and mysql as its using a different builds which lack some support. look through the ubuntu forums you will see what i mean
warmach

Post by warmach »

KnightMB wrote:
whiteb wrote:
KnightMB wrote:I am doing the walk-through myself, so give me a little time and I'll see if mine works also :mrgreen:

I might run into the same issue, so I can see first-hand what is stopping it from working.
Okay, thanks.

I have to go to bed to start work early....., Will see what results you get.
It all worked really well, the only snag I ran into was from the Digital Ocean documentation actually, in step 2. In their LAMP document, they have the code to install mysql and other relevant programs with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mysql-server libapache2-mod-auth-mysql php5-mysql
But the libapache2-mod-auth-mysql actually causes an error, so to install mysql properly you have to shorten it to

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mysql-server php5-mysql
Other than the little snag, everything else worked fine. I just copy/pasted every command :D and they all worked. There is probably some room for tweaks like adding a swap file to cache programs not used to save RAM and turning off the keepalive settings for apache, but everything works in the how-to so I give it a big thumbs up. :mrgreen:
I updated the OP to mention this. Thanks!
whiteb

Post by whiteb »

Well, I did a fresh reload of the system, Went through the instructions (Paying attention to the new step), I believe I did everything as per the steps, and its still giving me hassles.

Starting Timekoin from the web interface, the program loads, as does Watchdog, everything else stays offline, then Main program and watchdog stall after a few minutes.

It must work, as Knight has tested it, so I must be doing *SOMETHING* wrong..

Anyway, must go to work now :(, So it stays offline again :(

The only thing is I went with Ubuntu 13:10. Might try Ubuntu 12:10 when I get back home after work
koinmaster

Post by koinmaster »

Will the same instructions work on the other linux selections? I saw arch linux in there, that is what the Pi image uses right? I have gotten use to the command in it :)
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

koinmaster wrote:Will the same instructions work on the other linux selections? I saw arch linux in there, that is what the Pi image uses right? I have gotten use to the command in it :)
Pretty close, I did an arch linux "droplet" as they call it ;) and actually found the default images they use are out of date for arch linux, takes a lot of system upgrading to get to the latest release (arch linux is a rolling release OS). Once I got to that point, everything else was similar except they use the package manager pacman instead of apt-get, but the installation, setups are all pretty close. The one advantage of the arch linux I've noticed is the speed. The 64bit droplet is 50% faster as the 32bit ubuntu droplet and uses less RAM once the system is going. That is only because arch linux is about as barebones as it gets, so it has a lot less tools and services to aid the user (thus saving RAM, but annoying if you need those services).
jambo58

Post by jambo58 »

Anybody using a swap file on the $5 512mb droplet ?

Looking at my top stats, its humming away with only 10mb of free memory, im a bit worried that mysql will get carried away and max it out every now and then.. could cause the DB to drop

they say swap file on a VPS will take a performance hit but i guess its safer than risking a crash ?
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

I am running a swap on both of the test ones I setup just for that same reason. I setup a 512MB swap file just in case something, somewhere, needs a bit more RAM.

Usually it is good to have because the OS can dump memory to it that is or has not been used for a long time. This is a screen shot from the Ubuntu VPS that I created after Warmach's instructions. You'll notice that 32MB is already in swap, but it has not grown any in the last day, so I am assuming the OS just dumped some memory there it wasn't using to free up more real RAM space.
Attachments
console_swap_ubuntu.png
whiteb

Post by whiteb »

jambo58 wrote:Anybody using a swap file on the $5 512mb droplet ?

Looking at my top stats, its humming away with only 10mb of free memory, im a bit worried that mysql will get carried away and max it out every now and then.. could cause the DB to drop

they say swap file on a VPS will take a performance hit but i guess its safer than risking a crash ?
Well, unless its going to leak, so far, I only use 120MB out of 512MB but that is not generating (Yet), and is still downloading from a Super Peer.. (Thanks again Knight.).
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

whiteb wrote: Well, unless its going to leak, so far, I only use 120MB out of 512MB but that is not generating (Yet), and is still downloading from a Super Peer.. (Thanks again Knight.).
It just depends on the server load, the one in the screen shot has over 100 active peers on it (I figured why not see what that VPS can do :twisted: )

It you run less, then it keeps the memory load and CPU load down much lower.