How to Create a Full Generating Timekoin Node in a $5 VPS

Having issues with your Timekoin Server? Someone might be able to answer your questions here.
whiteb

Re: How to Create a Full Generating Timekoin Node in a $5 VP

Post by whiteb »

warmach wrote: I had these concerns too but had not pieced that together yet.

I found this... https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-12-04
I just tried this tutorial, and there is a problem (again).

After genning the RSA certificate, I followed to create the default-ssl config, and put the special lines in.., but once active, the default port 80 (non SSL) timekoin pages dont respond (Pages cannot be found), I had to remove those lines in default-ssl to get the pages to respond again.

Apache load gives an error, log says "multiple keys or something"...

Dont worry Knight.. server is still running for now :).., snapshotting before I break something :)
jambo58

Post by jambo58 »

yeah im going to try the ssl thing on a local non generating VM before breaking the production vps again :-)

if i get ultra paranoid ill just browse from the SSL shell using the w3m text browser.. otherwise to move coins load the private keys into a wallet and send to your offline wallet from there
jambo58

Post by jambo58 »

Looks like D-O are not being very accommodating to TK user, they have restricted some TK operators incl myself to 1 droplet. having a very hard time explaining to them that timekoin does not use CPU. :cry:

An email was sent to another user:
'Hello!

Cryptocurrency mining is very CPU intensive, and due to the shared nature of our CPU allocations large-scale cryptocurrency mining will seriously affect the quality of service we can provide to the neighbouring servers on the same hypervisors as servers running cryptocurrency mining operations.

So, while we do not specifically prohibit cryptocurrency mining, we do restrict accounts doing so to prevent large-scale operations from affecting our infrastructure.

Therefore, at this time, we do not provide droplet limit increases to accounts currently engaging in this activity. This includes opening additional accounts for the purpose of mining.

We apologize for this inconvenience, but we have to do our best to provide fair usage for all our users.

Regards,
Support Team
DigitalOcean'
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

jambo58 wrote:Looks like D-O are not being very accommodating to TK user, they have restricted some TK operators incl myself to 1 droplet. having a very hard time explaining to them that timekoin does not use CPU. :cry:

I just checked the history on my droplet, shows 9% CPU usage with over 100 active peers, I even have Super Peer mode turned on. So that is a bit strange for them to write such a message. What Timekoin does do a lot of is Database usage, a lot of I/O reading and writing, especially the more peers you are connected with. Even that is still very minimal CPU usage. There is a lot of micro-traffic going in and out, is that a concern for them?
Attachments
digital_ocean_graphs_usage.png
digital_ocean_graphs_usage.png (59.97 KiB) Viewed 3807 times
warmach

Post by warmach »

jambo58 wrote:Looks like D-O are not being very accommodating to TK user, they have restricted some TK operators incl myself to 1 droplet. having a very hard time explaining to them that timekoin does not use CPU. :cry:

'Hello!

Cryptocurrency mining is very CPU intensive, and due to the shared nature of our CPU allocations large-scale cryptocurrency mining will seriously affect the quality of service we can provide to the neighbouring servers on the same hypervisors as servers running cryptocurrency mining operations.

So, while we do not specifically prohibit cryptocurrency mining, we do restrict accounts doing so to prevent large-scale operations from affecting our infrastructure.

Therefore, at this time, we do not provide droplet limit increases to accounts currently engaging in this activity. This includes opening additional accounts for the purpose of mining.

We apologize for this inconvenience, but we have to do our best to provide fair usage for all our users.

Regards,
Support Team
DigitalOcean'
That is disappointing. I've had no problems with them before. Truthfully though, I've been a longtime customer and have been grandfathered into several feature changes. This may be one those things that I was grandfathered into.

I remember several months ago that someone wrote a guide to use D.O. to mine primecoins. There was a huge spike in account creation and they had some issue maintaining their network during the expansion. I guess they have made new policies regarding this type of thing.

In their defense, all crytpocurrencies do use large CPU resources during mining. For someone who is new to timekoin, the idea of a low cpu resource crypto would be mind boggling. I think it needs to be an education thing.
warmach

Post by warmach »

KnightMB wrote:

I just checked the history on my droplet, shows 9% CPU usage with over 100 active peers, I even have Super Peer mode turned on. So that is a bit strange for them to write such a message. What Timekoin does do a lot of is Database usage, a lot of I/O reading and writing, especially the more peers you are connected with. Even that is still very minimal CPU usage. There is a lot of micro-traffic going in and out, is that a concern for them?
How do I get these statistics from my servers? I would like to gather these statistics for a couple days and then submit them to D.O. and show they that it is just the same as any other PHP web application. Having 3 servers running for month or so would show that server resources would not be maxed out 100% of the time.

While we could just recommend other VPS hosting companies, it might be good to establish a timekoin friendly company instead of waiting until a new VPS host boots us and move on to the next.
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

warmach wrote:How do I get these statistics from my servers? I would like to gather these statistics for a couple days and then submit them to D.O. and show they that it is just the same as any other PHP web application. Having 3 servers running for month or so would show that server resources would not be maxed out 100% of the time.

While we could just recommend other VPS hosting companies, it might be good to establish a timekoin friendly company instead of waiting until a new VPS host boots us and move on to the next.
Click on the hostname of your droplet, then the menu has a lot of other choices. One of them is "Graphs", has some stats you can look over about bandwidth, I/O, CPU usage, etc.
Attachments
digital_ocean_graphs_usage1.png
whiteb

Post by whiteb »

DigitalOcean name servers under DDOS attack.
We are currently experiencing an inbound denial of service attack to our nameservers. We are working on mitigating the attack, but during this time DNS resolution may be slow or intermittent.
Tue Jan 14 16:11:15 2014
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

whiteb wrote:DigitalOcean name servers under DDOS attack.
We are currently experiencing an inbound denial of service attack to our nameservers. We are working on mitigating the attack, but during this time DNS resolution may be slow or intermittent.
Tue Jan 14 16:11:15 2014
I saw that too when I was taking the screenshot. :?
warmach

Post by warmach »

KnightMB wrote:
warmach wrote:How do I get these statistics from my servers? I would like to gather these statistics for a couple days and then submit them to D.O. and show they that it is just the same as any other PHP web application. Having 3 servers running for month or so would show that server resources would not be maxed out 100% of the time.

Click on the hostname of your droplet, then the menu has a lot of other choices. One of them is "Graphs", has some stats you can look over about bandwidth, I/O, CPU usage, etc.
Well, now I feel like a goof. :oops: I've been using them for a long time but only logged in to create/destroy servers.