Timekoin Server FAQ - New Users Start Here

Having issues with your Timekoin Server? Someone might be able to answer your questions here.
Payday

Re: Timekoin Server FAQ - New Users Start Here

Post by Payday »

Hi

I really like the idea of TimeKoin and would like to generate my own. Servers have always seemed a bit too technical for me, so does anyone know of an easy "Guide for Dummies".

I have a PC i5-2500k 16Gb ram Win 7, a Netbook Atom 1.6Ghz 2Gb ram on XP, and an used RasberryPi?

Can i create a server?
Payday

Post by Payday »

As previous post, is this possible?

Do I need anything else, a static IP?

Would really like to have this running over Xmas
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

What you need is an Internet accessible server, the IP can change around (dynamic allocation from ISP for example) and it should still work just fine. No static IP is required. You don't need a domain name, it is optional for those that prefer to use it.

Other than this, your system specs are more than good enough to run it without any issues of system resource usage.

If your router supports uPNP (Universal Plug n' Play), then Timekoin should be able to map the necessary inbound port (for windows users) automatically. Otherwise, you will have to get into your router configuration page to do this manually.

I do agree a more newbie friendly manual would be great, it's on the list of many things to do. :mrgreen:
Payday

Post by Payday »

Thanks, appreciate your help. I'm sure you got loads to do, especially at this time of year.

Ok, so take my Netbook (can leave this on 24/7) or is the Pi better?

I download the software and install it, login in, change details, update key - am I now running a server?
Payday

Post by Payday »

Please help me get this started.

Do I need to put anything in the "server domain" box under System Settings?
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

Payday wrote:Thanks, appreciate your help. I'm sure you got loads to do, especially at this time of year.

Ok, so take my Netbook (can leave this on 24/7) or is the Pi better?

I download the software and install it, login in, change details, update key - am I now running a server?
Power wise, the Pi is the best option. The netbook will work just fine also as it is probably many times the speed and resources of the Pi.

Basically, yes. As long as the computer (be it the netbook or pi) can pass the firewall test, all is good.
Payday

Post by Payday »

I'm waiting to be elected. I have a Generation IP that passes the Firewall test. Is that it, am I rolling?
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

Payday wrote:I'm waiting to be elected. I have a Generation IP that passes the Firewall test. Is that it, am I rolling?
Yes, also make sure you aren't seeing the "Outbound Only" warning on the Home tab.
Payday

Post by Payday »

Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Looks like I was elected last night and had to wait 1 hr for generation to start. But no loins this morning? :?