Timekoin Server FAQ - New Users Start Here

Having issues with your Timekoin Server? Someone might be able to answer your questions here.
KnightMB
Site Admin

Timekoin Server FAQ - New Users Start Here

Post by KnightMB »

This FAQ will be updated as needed to cover the most frequently asked questions.

Q: What does my server always show the status of "Operating in Outbound Only Mode"?
A: This message appears when Timekoin is unable to detect any inbound peer activity. Timekoin uses a combination of passive and active polling for data exchange. Part of this polling process means that for other peers to gather data from your server, they need to be able to initiate an inbound connection to your server. Sometimes a firewall or gateway can stand in the way, so port mapping may be necessary to map an inbound port to your server if the uPNP (Universal Plug n' Play) is unable to do it for you.
B: If the firewall or router is not the issue, it might actually be the peers your server is connected with. Try slowly increasing the number of active peers that your server will connect with in the system tab, for example 10 active peers instead of the 8 default. If your server is having difficulty obtaining the maximum active peers that you have set, slowly increase the number of reserve peers, for example 20 reserve peers instead of the default 15. You can also manually remove peers from your peerlist to let the server seek out fresh peers instead.

Q: My server never gets elected to create currency?
A: To create currency, your server must first be elected by all the network peers. Part of the election and currency creation process requires that you have an active server that can accept inbound connections from the Internet. Otherwise, there is no way for any peers to verify your online presence. Check that the IP listed in the "Generation" tab belongs to your server as sometimes Timekoin can detect the wrong IP address if you are behind a firewall for example. You can also use this firewall checking utility to test your inbound connection status.

Q: How much currency can my server create?
A: There is no limit to how much it can create in total, only a limit of how much it can create every generation event. The longer your server participates in the network, the more currency it will be allowed to create during a generation event.
  • 1 week (0-7 days) - 1 unit
  • 2 weeks (7-14 days) - 2 units
  • 3 weeks (14-28 days) - 3 units
  • 4 weeks (28-56 days) - 4 units
  • 8 weeks (56-112 days) - 5 units
  • 16 weeks (112-224 days) - 6 units
  • 32 weeks (224-448 days) - 7 units
  • 64 weeks (448-896 days) - 8 units
  • 128 weeks (896-1792 days) - 9 units
  • 256 weeks (1792+ days) - 10 units
Q: How do I enable "guest" access for Client users?
A: Client users can use the API functions of your server to creation transactions and check balances. Clients by default will seek out guest access from the public network. To enable Clients to use your server for guest access, you must first build hash-code access to allow them.
  1. Login to your Timekoin Server
  2. Go to the "Options" tab
  3. Click the "Manage Hash Code Access" button near the bottom
  4. To enable access, clients use the default code of "guest". To create this, simply pick an empty entry.
  5. Give the entry a friendly name, example "Public Access"
  6. Set the hash-code field to "guest"
  7. Enable these functions:
    • pk_balance
    • pk_history
    • pk_valid
    • send_tk
    • tk_trans_total
  8. Click "Save Settings" at the bottom
  9. Guess Access is now enabled, any Clients that poll your server should be able to attach and use the API.
joanofarc

Re: Timekoin Server FAQ - New Users Start Here

Post by joanofarc »

Anyone know if a video exist for this? A video tutorial would be a nice touch.
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

joanofarc wrote:Anyone know if a video exist for this? A video tutorial would be a nice touch.
For which one? :)
thehashman

Post by thehashman »

Can the server run on an Amazon micro instance or would it require too much processing power?

I am trying to setup the compiled exe of WinServer2008 R1 micro instance since you can sign up for the service and get 2 micro instances for free for a year :D
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

thehashman wrote:Can the server run on an Amazon micro instance or would it require too much processing power?

I am trying to setup the compiled exe of WinServer2008 R1 micro instance since you can sign up for the service and get 2 micro instances for free for a year :D
What you'll need is storage space, at least 4GB of space to future proof it for a while. You'll also need Internet accessible IPs, if the instances are behind a firewall for example, you won't be able to generate any currency. It should all work, I would be interested to know if it does. I know others who have hosted windows 2003 virtual servers that seem to work fine, though the over-killed the specs a little from the hosting provider.
thehashman

Post by thehashman »

Thanks for the tips! I will let you know how it goes. Where should I post in the forum if (when ;) ) I run into difficulties?
KnightMB
Site Admin

Post by KnightMB »

thehashman wrote:Thanks for the tips! I will let you know how it goes. Where should I post in the forum if (when ;) ) I run into difficulties?
Server Technical Support:
http://forums.timekoin.org/viewforum.php?f=3
jambo58

Post by jambo58 »

How does the password feature work on the TK server in terms of security? Is it sent in clear text when logging in?

Are the private keys on the server encrypted and are they stored somewhere in a file or are they regenerated when you log in ?
joanofarc

Post by joanofarc »

Unless you setup SSL, everything you do is sent plaintext if you are accessing it from outside your own server (Internet).

Private keys are stored in the database, if you have a database utility (like phpmyadmin for example), you can browse all the tables to see what is inside. The keys are stored in there somewhere, don't remember off the top of my head.
evoked

Post by evoked »

Hi,

I have the server running on a windows machine.

Everything is seems to be working though i cannot get elected as a peer. I have checked the firewall status and it confirms that incoming connections are allowed.

The ip is also the same as the ip displayed in Google.

Thanks for your help. Cheers
Keep TimeKoin Alive!